Obtaining a Refund of the Deductible
If an insured suffers a loss for which he is not liable, he can request a refund of his deductible from the third party who was found liable for the damages.
Here are the steps you must take to obtain this refund:
- Download the model letter.
- Adapt the letter to claim reimbursement for additional damages not compensated for by the insurer, if applicable
- Send the letter to the third party liable for the loss or to the third party’s insurer, and cc the letter to the claims adjuster responsible for the file.
The insured may also consult a lawyer:
- if he feels uncomfortable going about obtaining the refund of the deductible himself;
- in order to exercise his rights, if he does not receive a response within the time limit indicated in his letter.
To learn more, please read Non responsable? Réclamez le remboursement de la franchise! (in French only on the ChAD’s website).