Compensation in the Event of Fraud
A consumer who is a victim of fraud which happened after June 12, 20151 may apply to the Fonds d’indemnisation of the Autorité des marchés financiers for compensation. To qualify for compensation from the Fonds d’indemnisation, the application must satisfy the following three criteria:
1. The consumer must have dealt with a representative who was duly certified by the Authority.
- If the representative was not authorized to act by the Autorité des marchés financiers, the claim may be eligible if:
- The consumer was already doing business with the representative while the representative had a right to practice; and
- The fraud happened within two years following the loss of the right of practice.
2. The fraud must be related to a product or a service in a discipline covered by the Fund.
3. The claim for compensation must be filed within one year of the date on which the consumer became aware of the fraud, the fraudulent tactics or the embezzlement.
For fraud that occurred before June 12, 2015, find the eligibility criteria on the Autorité des marchés financiers’ website.
Maximum compensation is $200,000 per claim.
The current system allows a consumer who has been a victim of fraud to file a claim at no cost through an administrative process and to receive compensation if the criteria are fulfilled.
1. On June 2018, eligibility criteria have been modified following the adoption of the Act mainly to improve the regulation of the financial sector, the protection of deposits of money and the operation of financial institutions. For further informations, visit the website lautorite.qc.ca.