Protection of personal information
Everyone who operates a business must put measures in place to protect the personal information they hold regarding others. These measures apply to each stage in the life cycle of personal information: when it is collected, communicated, used, held, conserved, and destroyed.
The damage insurance representatives and the claims adjusters must respect the obligations related to the collection and sharing of personal information.
When collecting personal information, they must inform the insured individual about:
- the subject of the file;
- the use of the personal information collected and the people who will have access to it;
- the place where the file will be kept;
- the individuals’ right to access and rectify their file.
In addition, the personal information must:
- Be subject to limited access and restricted use;
- Be conserved in full for five years after the last recorded activity in the file.
Protection of Personal Information
You will find information specifically about:
- Collecting and communicating personal information
- Using personal information
- Keeping and storing personal information
- Destroying personal information
- An individual’s right to access his/her personal information