HOLIDAY BREAK: The ChAD offices will be closed from December 25, 2023 to January 2, 2024.

Emergency assistance for technical issues related to the ChAD Portal (including ÉduChAD) will be available on December 27, 28 and 29 and January 2, 2024 from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

During this period, you can contact SVI Solutions at 1-866-843-4848 #1 or for the following problems:

  • Problem logging in to the ChAD Portal (which includes ÉduChAD).
  • Technical problem viewing and completing a training course.

To know more (in french only).


Sorry, but nothing corresponds your search criteria. Try again with different keywords.

Go to content

Automobile insurance: FAQs

There are many unique aspects to automobile insurance. Below are answers to some of the questions that insureds commonly ask. However, if you have any questions about your automobile insurance, feel free to call your damage insurance professional. Whether your professional is a broker or an agent, you can rest assured that they are trained and qualified to advise you, and their professional practice is overseen by the ChAD.

Every owner of a motor vehicle in Quebec must carry at least $50,000 worth of compulsory civil liability insurance. The Groupement des assureurs automobiles (GAA) is responsible for guaranteeing access to such insurance. Contact them to find out how you can take advantage of this service


Contact a damage insurance agent or broker to discuss your situation. He or she will advise you on the coverage that meets your needs. The Autorité des marchés financiers (the Authority) has created a guide to help you learn more about the needs assessment, coverage offered in Quebec, and how to get a quote and purchase your insurance.

Your insurer will determine your liability based on the Direct Compensation Agreement. This agreement applies to all collisions that occur in Quebec between at least two vehicles whose owners have been identified.

To verify whether the agreement applies to your accident and to get a idea of your own liability, go to the website of the Groupement des assureurs automobiles.

No, each insurer compensates its insured for material damages to their vehicle. In order to simplify compensation, the Groupement des assureurs automobiles established the Direct Compensation Agreement in 1978. This agreement stipulates that a victim whose vehicle suffers material damages must be compensated by his own insurer, if the collision occurred in Quebec and if it involves at least two vehicles whose owners have been identified; hit and runs are therefore excluded.

If the insured is not liable for the damages, his insurer will compensate him for all the damages; if the insured is liable for the damages, the insurer will compensate him based on the coverage provided for in the contract, and the deductible will apply.

To find out about the coverages included in your contract, contact your agent or broker. This certified professional is overseen by the ChAD. He or she will explain to you what your insurance contract contains and can advise you regarding coverage that fits your situation.

It is always preferable to declare an automobile accident to your insurer, even if you do not make a claim. In Quebec, all automobile insurers have access to the Fichier central des sinistres automobiles. The Fichier contains all the automobile accidents that have occurred in Quebec over the past six years, whether or not a claim was made. This database is the property of the Autorité des marchés financiers, which has delegated its management to the Groupement des assureurs automobiles.

Some consumers prefer not to declare an accident since they fear the cost of their insurance will go up. However, even if you decide to pay to have your vehicle repaired, the accident will nevertheless be registered in your file in the Fichier central if the other driver declares the incident to their insurer. In this case, your insurer will have access to the information—however it will only be the other driver’s version of events. It is therefore preferable that you report the accident to your insurer so that your version of the facts can also be used to establish the liability that will appear in the Fichier central. The insurer will thus be able to establish the extent of your liability for the accident.

Notify your insurer as soon as possible by contacting your agent or broker, who will help you open the claim file. You must then describe the circumstances of the loss to the claims adjuster assigned to your file. The adjuster will explain the settlement process to you and will confirm the coverages provided in your insurance contract. Visit the Groupement des assureurs automobiles (GAA) site to see an overview of the automobile claims settlement process, from claim to repair.

The Autorité des marchés financiers authorizes the Groupement des assureurs automobiles to collect information on your automobile claims from insurers. This information constitutes your claims history statement. You can consult it at any time and ask that verifications or corrections be made in case of error.

The government plan, which is administered by the Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ), compensates any person residing in Quebec for bodily injuries (for example, physical injuries, illness, death, etc.) suffered in an automobile accident anywhere in the world, on a “no fault” basis. If you have been injured in an accident, you can contact the SAAQ directly or discuss it with the claims adjuster assigned to your file, who will explain to you how to proceed.

If you occasionally or regularly lend your vehicle to a friend or a family member, we advise you to discuss it with your agent or broker. He or she will review your coverage and be able to tell you whether, for example, you need to add this driver to your contract or whether you need to add further coverage.

If your son, or anyone else, uses your car either occasionally or regularly, let your damage insurance agent or broker know. It might be necessary to add him to your contract. Otherwise, your claim in the event of an accident might be refused, or the compensation might not cover the full amount.

To be covered by your automobile insurance for a short-term vehicle rental, you must add endorsement Q.E.F. No. 27 Civil liability resulting from damage caused to vehicles of which named insured is not owner. In fact, this endorsement is often more economical than the insurance offered by the rental firm. To find out whether this coverage is right for you, speak to your damage insurance agent or broker.

It all depends on your contract and the type of truck you rented. It is therefore preferable to contact your agent or broker to verify the current coverage in your contract. Discuss the type of truck you would like to rent and the fact that you would like your son to drive it. Your damage insurance professional will be able to advise you based on your needs and verify that you are properly insured.

In some cases, the insured does not agree with the amount of compensation the insurer has offered. If this is your case, you can always ask the claims adjuster dealing with your claim to explain why or ask that your file be reviewed. We suggest that you back up your assertion by showing the claims adjuster assigned to your file examples of the asking price for comparable vehicles on the market today.

To find out more about what you can do if you disagree with your insurer, read What should I do if I disagree with my insurer’s decision

It all depends on the type of property and your insurance contract. In general, items that are considered automobile equipment, as well as tools and accessories intended solely for car-related use, are covered by your automobile insurance—if, of course, your policy includes theft protection. This may include a child’s car seat if it is intended for use only in a vehicle.

On the other hand, sports equipment and the laptop are covered by your home insurance. If you do not have home insurance, these items will not be covered. 

If your car has been robbed, talk to the claims adjuster assigned to your file about the best way to handle your claim. The adjuster will know how to advise you based on your specific situation. 

When renewing your insurance contract, talk with your damage insurance agent or broker about the items and equipment you regularly leave in your vehicle. Your professional will be able to tell you what is covered and by which insurance contract. He or she will also suggest the proper coverage to meet your needs.

You must notify your damage insurance agent or broker of any change you make to your vehicle. He or she will be able to explain to you the impact this could have on your insurance premium or which endorsement is appropriate to cover your property in the event of breakage or theft.

Before making any changes, we suggest you read the SAAQ’s brochure, Modifying your vehicle to find out about which modifications are allowed and which ones are prohibited.

In automobile insurance, the basic compensation an insurer awards a client who suffers a total or partial loss is the value of the vehicle on the day the accident occurred. There are, however, two products that protect you against depreciation in the value of your vehicle: the replacement cost endorsement and replacement insurance. These two products have certain clauses that are similar and others that are different. In order to make an informed choice, we suggest you consult the comparison table that was created to help damage insurance professionals better advise their clients. Above all, talk to your damage insurance agent or broker to decide on the product that best meets your needs.

You should also be aware that in 2018, the average cost of a five-year replacement cost premium was $1,917 when sold by a dealership, and $1,261 when sold by an agent or broker—a difference of $656.

(Source : Rapport annuel sur les institutions financières 2018,  Autorité des marchés financiers, p. 235.) [in French only]

If you have hitched a trailer to your vehicle, you must contact your agent or broker. He or she will ask you the questions needed to determine the types of coverage you will require. For example, they will ask you what type of trailer you have installed and what you intend to use it for. In general, if your trailer is being used for personal purposes, it is automatically insured under Chapter A – Civil liability,[1] however no other coverage is included. If you use your trailer for work, you must explain this use in detail to your agent or broker so that they can advise you on the appropriate coverage for your situation.

[1] In French only