|5. Deadlines related to renewing, terminating or cancelling personal insurance contracts||5. Deadlines related to renewing, terminating or cancelling personal insurance contracts||http://chad.ca/en/members/professional-practice/toolbox/the-advisory-role/593/5-deadlines-related-to-renewing-terminating-or-cancelling-personal-insuranc||Renewal with or without changes to the premium or coverage, non-renewal, termination before the contract expiry date, aggravation of risk: these actions require communication between the insurer and insured, with deadlines for notices and effective dates established by various laws (Automobile Insurance Act, Civil Code of Québec) and occasionally by insurance contracts.
All parties must respect certain deadlines for renewing, terminating and cancelling damage insurance contracts.It is the responsibility of agents and brokers to know these deadlines in order to appropriately inform and advise their clients.
The ChAD has created a helpful table in collaboration with its Comité de déontologie et de règles de pratique made up of certified professionals. However, it is important not to mistake this tool for your
ethical obligations related to contract renewal
or related to the end of a mandate.
This reference guide will help you better respect deadlines, apply best practices and provide your clients with useful and necessary explanations. It is broken down as follows:
- Upon expiry
- Renewal with modifications to the premium or coverage by the insurer
- Non-renewal by the insurer
- Non-renewal by the insured
- During the term of the contract
- Termination by the insurer
- Rescission by the insured of a contract concluded online or through a distributor
- Termination by the insured
- Aggravation of risk declared by the insured
- Undeclared aggravation of risk
For more information, consult the documents below.
- Reference guide for professionals
- Deadlines for renewing, terminating or cancelling an
automobile insurance policy (PDF)
- Deadlines for renewing, terminating or cancelling a
home insurance policy (PDF)
Note: The printing of these tools is optimized for legal and color format. If you do not have a colour printer or a legal size printer, you can also print them in black and white and letter format.
Code of ethics of damage insurance representatives (sections 25, 37(4) and 37(6))
Civil Code of Québec (CCQ)
Automobile Insurance Act
|10/24/2019 1:49:29 PM|