When to File a Complaint with the Syndic’s OfficeWhen to File a Complaint with the Syndic’s Officehttp://chad.ca/en/consumers/protecting-the-public/filing-a-complaint-with-the-syndics-office/199/when-to-file-a-complaint-with-the-syndics-office

An individual may file a complaint with the Syndic’s office if:

  • he believes that a damage insurance professional has not fulfilled his duties or obligations;
  • he wants the professional to change his ways;
  • he wants to save other consumers from having to deal with the same situation.

The complaint must be filed against the professional rather than against the company that employs him.

Filing a complaint with the Syndic’s office of the Chambre de l'assurance de dommages will not enable you to recover any money if you feel that you were swindled. In such a case, we suggest you consult a lawyer to see what, if any, recourse you have before the courts.

An individual may also contact the Autorité des marchés financiers to find out if he or she is eligible for its mediation/conciliation service: 1 877 525-0337 (toll free number).

8/25/2014 11:47:48 AM