Who Are Damage Insurance Professionals?Who Are Damage Insurance Professionals?http://chad.ca/en/consumers/professionals/202/who-are-damage-insurance-professionalsles professionnels

Damage insurance agents and brokers, as well as claims adjusters are all damage insurance professionals. They are certified by the Autorité des marchés financiers and overseen by the Chambre de l’assurance de dommages (ChAD).

Damage Insurance Representatives

Damage insurance contracts are complicated. Damage insurance representatives—in other words, damage insurance agents or brokers—ensure that the consumer’s insurance contract meets his or her needs.

Damage insurance representatives may practice in the field of:

  • personal lines damage insurance,
  • commercial lines damage insurance,
  • or both.


Damage Insurance Agents
A damage insurance agent works for an insurance company (an insurer). The agent identifies the product offered by his insurer that best meets the insured’s needs and recommends it to the insured.


Damage Insurance Brokers
A damage insurance broker works in a brokerage firm that offers a variety of damage insurance products from a number of insurers. He asks for a quote from his network of insurers and offers the insured the quote that best meets the insured’s needs.


Claims Adjusters
When a loss occurs, the insurer designates a claims adjuster to guide the insured through the process of making a claim. This professional will investigate the facts and circumstances of the loss, estimate the damages and negotiate the settlement of the claim in accordance with the terms of the insurance contract.

Claims adjusters may practice in the field of:

  • personal losses;
  • commercial losses;
  • or both.

Claims adjusters may also be mandated to act by the insured.


Titles that are Protected by Law

Individuals who are authorized to use these titles must hold a representative’s certificate issued by the Authority in damage insurance (in the sector class “agent” or “broker”) or a certificate in claims adjustment. In order to obtain this licence, representatives must pass the admission examinations; to keep their licence, they must take professional development courses and comply with the code of ethics.

To learn more, please read Assurance de dommages : trois titres protégés pour des professionnels certifiés (available in French only on the ChAD’s website)
3/30/2015 2:04:42 PM