The Chambre de l’assurance de dommages at your serviceThe Chambre de l’assurance de dommages at your service

One mission: to protect the public
The mission of the Chambre de l’assurance de dommages (ChAD) is to ensure the protection of the public in matters related to damage insurance and claims adjustment. It oversees the compulsory professional development of over 14,500 damage insurance agents and brokers, as well as claims adjusters; and provides preventive oversight and enforces discipline on individuals working in these fields.

Why make a complaint to the ChAD?
Any consumer who is concerned about the quality of service or the behaviour of a damage insurance professional may make a complaint to the Syndic’s Office of the ChAD, for instance, when there is an issue with the claims settlement process. The Syndic’s Office will investigate the representative in order to determine whether the acts he performed comply with the rules and legislation that govern his professional practice, in other words, his Code of ethics and the Act respecting the distribution of financial products and services.

Examples of situations where a consumer could make a complaint related to the settlement of a claim:

  • if he believes he was poorly advised or poorly informed;
  • if a professional did not carry out the mandate entrusted to him—or if he did not carry out his mandate in a timely manner, and thus harmed the consumer;
  • if the claims adjuster no longer calls him back;
  • if he is concerned about the quality of the claims adjuster’s services or those of the service provider the adjuster mandated.

How do I make a complaint?
Consumers may complain directly to the ChAD, either by letter or on the website at They may also contact the Complaint Examination and Assistance Service of the Autorité des marchés financiers, which forwards these complaints to the Syndic’s Office of the ChAD.


Filing a complaint with the Syndic’s Office of the ChAD does not enable the consumer to recover money he feels he has been wrongly denied or to obtain higher compensation for his claim. To do so, the ChAD recommends you read the text box on page "Dissatisfied with the compensation you received?", and suggests you consult a lawyer to find out about seeking recourse in civil court, if necessary. The Autorité des marchés financiers also offers dispute resolution services, depending on the situation. Review the options.

Back to the main menu
5/27/2015 4:40:21 PM