Dissatisfied with the compensation you received?Dissatisfied with the compensation you received?http://chad.ca/en/consumers/making-a-claim/the-claimants-handbook/385/dissatisfied-with-the-compensation-you-received

Insureds who feel that they have been unfairly treated in the claims settlement process have several options available to them to try and settle the dispute and obtain what they feel is appropriate compensation.

Make a written complaint to the insurer or the firm in question
All insurers and claims adjustment firms must offer a complaint examination service; some even offer the services of an ombudsman. Making a written complaint to them is therefore the first step to take if you disagree or are dissatisfied with the amount of compensation offered in the wake of a loss.

Transfer the file to the autorité des marchés financiers
If an insured is dissatisfied with how the insurer handled his complaint, he can request that his file be transferred to the Authority. After analyzing the file, the Autorité des marchés financiers may offer dispute resolution services, depending on the situation.

Civil Court
Ultimately, insureds who feel that they have been unfairly treated in the claims settlement process, and in particular, those seeking higher compensation, may consult a lawyer to find out about seeking recourse in civil court.

Any claimant who is concerned about the quality of service or the behaviour of a damage insurance professional (agent, broker or claims adjuster) may make a complaint to the Syndic’s Office of the Chambre de l’assurance de dommages. For details, see page "The Chambre de l'assurance de dommages at your service".

Back to the main menu
5/27/2015 4:40:21 PM